Sunday 30 June 2013

Brian Dangerfield's Final Thoughts

(Brian Dangerfield's 15 Steps to Greatness #14, 2009)

As the great Bob Dylan once said, “the times, oh, they are changing,” and, like all good things, my time here at Critical Magazine must come to an end. Adapting my popular book Brian Dangerfield’s 15 Steps to Greatness into a series of weekly columns was hard work, but if you took even one thing away from my writing then it was all worth it. Of course, I hope that you were able to find inspiration and practical advice in each of my fifteen steps (except the ones that I cut out).

I must thank Annie Josephs and the other fine people at Critical Magazine for helping me bring my message of greatness to a new generation. I decided to write this column because I was concerned about the state of today’s youth, and since I began things have only become worse: the last few months have seen rioting in the streets, elderly pedestrians shoved into shopping carts, and of course the infamous ‘500 Undies’ event. Clearly, the young people of today need a role model more than ever, and so it is with a heavy heart that I must bid the Critical team farewell. Even though it’s only been fourteen weeks, I feel as if I’ve been writing for this magazine for years.

But writing this series has been as much a journey for me as it has been for you, dear reader. It was an opportunity to relive the glory years of almost twenty years ago: the endless book-signings, the motivational seminars, the bright lights of small-town New Zealand. I must admit, it’s a stark contrast to my current job of stacking empty paint tins at Mitre 10 Mosgiel. Writing this column also made me reflect on the good times I shared with my wife Maria: our life on the road, our unstoppable partnership. Sadly, our relationship has deteriorated somewhat since then. Yes, life is different now than it was in those days, but writing this column, knowing that I was making a difference, has helped get me through these dark times.

Did I mention that my book is still available from www.briandangerfieldbooks.com? I could really do with the money.

But you know, in the last few weeks, I’ve started to realise something. Greatness doesn’t come from having a perfect family, or the fame associated with writing a moderately-selling book, or from making inane chit-chat on breakfast television. At the end of the day, I don’t need any more than my small bungalow in Mosgiel, which I am lucky enough to share with Kalaya, a lovely girl who I met in Thailand. She doesn’t speak much English, but it doesn’t matter. I understand now that true greatness comes from within, from the happiness inside yourself, and you don’t need fifteen steps to understand that.*



*If you do happen to follow my fifteen-step programme and are a success, however, I think it would only be fair that I still receive some of the credit. Please? That would really mean a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment